The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why I blog

A while back we were asked to do a post about why we blogged. I made up some crap to get by, but since I have actually started to like blogging I thought I should do a real one, a sincere one.

I blog because it gives me a chance to think about how I really feel about things. I have always concerned myself with not the happening of events, but why they happen. Often, I find myself thinking through the goings on of my life wondering how one event leads to another, and the what ifs of the changing of actions. Motivation is what rules this life, and understanding others as well as your own helps you better figure this life out. Some may concern themselves with living their life, as they should, but I find myself wondering more about how this life is lived. I blog to understand.

I blog about incidents that happen in my daily life, and what they mean to me, but most importantly, what I can learn from them. As I write, I simply let the words come, then go back through the mess to pick out what is garbage, and find the ideas, the thoughts, the sayings that mean something to me. I blog to learn.

Going back over these events that may shape my life allows me to analyze them better. By reviewing them I can go past the initial reaction and maybe gain something new, something more than just emotion. And maybe by replaying them, I can intensify that feeling, really recognizing it for what it’s worth. I blog to relive. 

By talking, or rather typing, I get things off my mind. By blogging, I get my thoughts out of my head, perhaps making them clearer by separating them from the rest. By putting the worry in the text, my mind becomes free. I blog to relieve.

When I push the publish post button, I cannot deny a sense of satisfaction. Sometimes my work is crap, actually more often than not, but maybe just once I get it write. That once of yes makes up for all of the billions of no. And I feel good. Not because I feel I accomplished something, but because I Know I accomplished something good. Like all writers, I blog for my ego. 

These are the reasons I blog. I blog for understanding, for knowledge, to relive, for relief, and for my ego. But I blog for me too.

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.

 Joan Didion

Peace. 

No comments: