The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Again with the money

What is with this crazy rampage of people who clearly have no other worries than the face of their money? I have heard so many complaints about money issues lately, and I’m not talking about the poor state of our economy. I guess I have just heard two main complaints, one of them being from the penny essay we did in lame and the other I happened upon from Coates' blog. Apparently there is a big rush to change the face of Grant to that of Frederick Douglas on the fifty dollar bill.
Coates mentions how it would be cool to have a black man on some money, and also how important Douglas was to establishing the history of our nation. Yeah, I would totally be down with a black man on our money, you know, spreading the wealth around. But really, who cares? Is a fifty dollar bill any less appealing because of the face the graces the paper. I think most people would say no.
And once again, I'm sick of people always resorting back to the old school heroes of our day. Yeah, they should be recognized for their accomplishments, but let's bring some new players into the game. There are many noteworthy accomplishments made by present-day black americans, Obama being just one case. I personally would like to see more of them.
Peace.

No comments: