The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Friday, May 1, 2009

Gay Marriage


Would marriage by any other name smell as sweet?

So I know that the whole legalization of gay marriage is a controversial topic, but I have no qualms about sharing my view on it, and I am firmly behind this law. I feel very proud to live in a state that finally has granted rights denied to citizens of the states, a state that has finally recognized our constitution. It’s about time for a moment such as this. 

Being a black american, a fact I like to bring up at every possible moment, I have reaped all the benefits of my forefathers. I get into schools easier, I’ll get a job easier, and strangers are generally nicer to me, especially rich white ones for fear of being termed a racist. It’s quite nice. But I have never participated in a sit-in, or march on Washington. I have never felt the harsh waters of the governments oppression. I have never been barred from public places for the sole reason of the color of my skin, and I have never been heckled as I made my way to the doors of my school. I can’t imagine these horrors, and at the same time, I want nothing more to experience them. In a way I feel cheated, and at the same time, a cheater. 

But the Gay Rights movement is something I can get in on. While there may not be the same dramatic situations, the religious aspect of this debate is bond to create some drama of its own. This is a movement I can be apart of, helping future generations feel guilty for their own lack of participation. And it is also one I find worthy of my effort, because it is a cause I believe. No person should be denied basic rights especially for the reason that marriage is between a man and a women. I believe in God they say, yet I can show you plenty of homosexuals that do too. Besides, since when did religious reasons determine government law? Seems like a simple question of separation  of church and state to me. but regardless, this is something I feel I should do, to make up for lost effort, maybe.

What i really would like to see is a person who believes that gay marriage is wrong for religious reasons, yet protests for the legalization of it. That would be a person who truly understands our constitution and peoples’ rights.

Marriage is marriage, regardless the sexual orientation. 

Peace. 

No comments: