The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Friday, May 1, 2009

Abortion:the musical


So I was writing a screenplay for a short film I wanted to eventually make, and told Josh about it because I thought he could be perfect for the male part and he asked me to help him write a musical. I can’t sing so I was a bit apprehensive, but I love musicals and he said that he would take care of all the songs, so I thought sure, why not, its something I haven’t done before.
Since somebpdy decided to skip class today and leave us with no sub, we began brainstorming ideas for our musical. Spencer was at my table, and die to his eavesdropping heard our plan. He suggested abortion. At first, I think both Josh and I scoffed at such an upsurd idea. How was one to write a musical about abortion? But then, because we only took it as a joke, we began making fun of such a ludicras idea, coming up with things we would have to write about. And it was funny. So we kept going. Soon we had a really good, or as good as we could get in twenty minutes of an idea for a musical...about abortion.
Here's the premise:
A twelve year old gets pregnant, and trys to tell her boyfriend while he's pressuring her for sex, in song of course. Then, at the end of the opening number, she eventially tells him that she can't because she's pregnant. Yes, we understand that still means you can have sex, but she's twelve, she doesn't know that. And the boyfriend is so shocked by the fact that she's pregnant he doesn't bother to enlighten her. They have never had sex, thus we have ourselves a little Mary. This pregnant teen has gotten so due to the power of emmaculate conception, which she will share with us, in song. She then tells her mother and there's some conflict there, but eventually she ends up at an abortion clinic, which is sure to provide a lot of musical numbers. There she will meet a fifteen time abortion pro as well as a pro-life protestor. Sadly, the abortion fails, and she has to have the baby. There is some pushing and screaming, in music form, and the out pops the baby. The baby is all gooey and cute, and then begins to talk in the seterotypical baby voice, when all of a sudden, his voice takes on a deep, menacing tone, for he is the anti-christ.
I find all of this very funny, and hope that all three of us will be able to pull such an idea off. I doubt it will be a hit or anything, but I am sure a lot of people will find it at least somewhat humorous. Not only that, but I'm hoping this sparks some anger, for it is a very controversial topic. If a work or art is capable of not only being praised, but despised as well, that's when you know its good. Plus, I think this musical will also address a lot of important issues, among being comical. Teen pregnancy being one, and depedning on the whore met in the abortion clinic, maybe poverty. It has substance too.
So come see the show.
Peace.

2 comments:

StuTheDew said...

This sounds like quite the musical. I could play the anti-christ.

:D

If i could sing.. :/ which i can't

Fast Fo said...

no, this will definitely be a hit