The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Thursday, April 2, 2009

This little incident

The summer between my freshmen and sophomore year, I befriended a person named Jessica. I had met her through work, and we had a mutual friend that had both invited us over one night. We were both two teenagers who had been given too much freedom and our summer nights proved to be quite the experience complete with stealing a road cone sign and putting it on the doorstep of this douche cake we knew, as well as knocking over a few road signs, with a bit of midnight runs for toilet paper and eggs. We were immature, as most of our generation is, and how I still am today, and these petty crimes were enough for us to get our kicks.
When school started, we were able to keep our friendship alive despite the reduce time spent together. Ours was a friendship that came so easy, and seemed like it was one that could remain. But alas, all friendships have their troubled waters. Although it occurred later than most, when it hit, their was no recovery. The death of our friendship was somewhere in early July, and it still has not been repaired. I have put much effort into fixing this friendship, because losing a friend is one of the biggest hurts a person can experience.
I only open this old wound because of an incident which occurred last night that made me think of it. Last night I worked, and when I came in, all seemed normal. Then I heard that my general manager was coming in unexpectedly. Since I am never compliant with any of our rules their at Culvers, I had several piercings in as well as nail polish on. I quickly ran to the back and removed my illegal attire.
Soon after, my boss walked in. She yelled for three of our employees to go into her office. Not long after that a cop showed up and walked back to join them. I had only the faintest idea of what was going on and only because I badgered my manger into telling me. Apparently a couple of our employees had been drinking before work and one of our managers had found out and told Julie.
One of these people used to be my best friend, and all three used to be people I hung out with. While this post is not intended to harm anyone’s reputation, it made me realize that maybe this was not a person whose friendship I should value. I personally would never drink before work, and had we still be friends, I wonder if my opinion would have changed. I am not sure that she is really the best person for me, and one that I should have tried to get back.
I would however like to say that Jessica is a wonderful person and should not be judged on this action alone. Regardless of her choices, she is still someone I care deeply for, someone possessing many positive qualities, and someone who I can say has had a positive impact on me and my life.
Peace.

No comments: