The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, April 26, 2009

home is what you make it


So I was bumming around the interwebs and happened upon this video on Andrew Sullivan’s blog. The video is digitally animated and is somewhat reminiscent of Sims visuals. It starts off with a basic dwelling, which morphs into a higher quality, which morphs into a higher quality and so on and so forth. While I watched this, it once again brought up a concern I have been harboring, one of materialism. 


subprime from beeple on Vimeo.

Our society has become greatly focussed on items. They serve as a way to judge ones success, and are, sadly the source of our happiness, or the false ideal of happiness. I realize this, and yet, I find myself buying into the same evil as everyone else. I am under the idea that I need something, items such as a new TV or the best computer, not just a competent one. While I have become better at identifying my poorly based desires,  I have also figured out a way to manipulate my mind into justifying such buys as my i-mac, which in all honesty, is something I most likely could have lived without. 

And yet I cannot fight this battle, because when you are all around it, it’s almost impossible to ignore it. 

Peace. 

No comments: