The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Thursday, March 19, 2009

This boy..


I hate to be a girl, but this story is sort of feminine, so I will apologize in advance. 

So I have been hanging out a lot with this boy lately. He’s very cute, unbelievably funny, and completely immature, just my type. It’s all very boring really, at least to hear, I suppose. However, I feel the prospect of a relationship is near. This does not excite me in any way. I am like a stereotypical guy in the relationship sense. I avoid any form of commitment as if it were the plague. Some people are capable of it, but vary few. Those who say they are most likely in a less than ideal relationship. 

I attribute commitment with expectations. A commitment brings with it a title. With any title, there are duties. Now let’s examine the high school relationship, shall we. There is a boy and a girl. Boy asks girl to be his girlfriend, awkward in itself. Boy and girl date, tell each other they love each other, have sex, break up, hate each other. More times than not, this is how it ends. 

My first problem with this is that the question is so childish I suppose. Will you be my girlfriend? What are we, third graders? It’s a very weird question to me, one incapable of expressing the true feelings of the person who is asking it.  It’s too mediocre sounding for such a serious topic.  My next problem is the motivation behind the question. Why ask it? If two people are happy being together, what does the question change? The feelings are still the same, you don’t hang out any differently, it doesn’t change any part of a relationship but the title. I for one hate titles. My last concern is the expectations associated with a relationship. In each person’s mind, there is an idea of what a relationship should be. A relationship shouldn’t be anything. It is what it is. People are often under the impression that, because we’re dating, it’s okay for us to hold hands, kiss, or have sex. Sure, if that’s what you think people in a relationship should do, go for it. A relationship isn’t necessary to do any of those things. If a relationship doesn’t inhibit you from doing them, why should one enable you to? I’m not saying people should go around having sex with every person they want, that’s weird. But they shouldn’t justify doing so by a relationship.

I believe that if you’re happy being with someone that a title doesn’t matter. The title is only used to make others feel comfortable about your relationship. However, a relationship is between two people, and no action must be taken to make someone feel good unless is those two, not your friends. I don’t want those expectations placed upon me. I don’t want to feel as if I have to perform a certain way, or live up to something, because I never want to do something I don’t feel comfortable doing. And that question, I really can’t handle that question. 

Peace.

My ideal relationship expressed in this song:


No comments: