The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Choices


So I am taking government this term, and because of this, I am with a lot of seniors. Today they had some little pre-college thing that they had to go to, so I went with them. There was one chick who went on about credit cards and how you can get into debt really easily blah, blah. Then there was this other chick who talked about sex and casual hook-ups and how if you had sex you would get pregnant and die. Next, we heard from two students who attended college and they talked about their experiences. 

The girl was really boring, but they guy, Jordan Grimm, a former student actually gave some good advice. It might have just been how I felt at the time, but what he said really hit me in a way. He was talking about how once we leave high school, there our responsibilities, not our parents. Yeah, I have heard that before, that wasn’t the important part. He went on to say that he does the things he does because its what he wants. He writes this paper, listens in class, does his homework because its his choice, and its the best one for him, yet he makes it, no one decides it for him. 

That got me thinking. I know I had a post a while back about how most of the things I do, I only do because I have to. This is true to some degree, but they are still my choices. I have made the decision to decided what I want not only from life, but from myself. I want to be successful (my own definition of successful) and help people, and I know this is all very cliche, but to really make a difference. I want to someone’s life to be better because I was in it. I have made that choice, not because of my parents, not because of my teachers, and not because of my friends, but because that is what I want from life. And because I have made that choice, there are steps I must take to get there, like being in aca dac or mock trial, or taking the classes I do. 

I feel that I have regained the power over my life. While my time is consumed with things I do not necessarily like, I have made it so, knowing that it is what I need to do to get where I want. It's worth it.

Peace. 

No comments: