The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Friday, March 27, 2009

A city is a city is a city..


So like I  mentioned in my previous post, I spent some days in New York. I have wanted to live in New York for as long as I can remember. I suppose this is mostly because I have been drugged by the Hollywood Breakfast at Tiffany’s persona of New York that has been given off by countless feel good movies. When I was there, however, New York lived up to all the things I imagined it to be. It was just as beautiful, just as big, just as diverse as I had expected. I do realize that I have only stated the pros of the New York demeanor. Despite my romantic description of the city that never sleeps, I also have a realistic stance on this place as well. It was just as crowded, just as dirty, and just as sad as I had also pictured it. No place is without its faults though. 

While I spent time there, I realized that I had primarily focused on what I had thought to be the good aspects of the city. I only realized this because I began to notice the cons the more I was there. There are so many people there. You end up becoming only a dot amongst so many bodies. I am a person who likes to stand out perhaps to the point of annoyance. But I like to know people, to have close ties with them and to be able to form a relationship with them. 

I now see that such relationships would not be possible in a big city such as New York. There is no way I could make a big difference there when there are so many people, and so many suffering. I feel a bit naive, or maybe I feel a bit duped. I have lived the ida that no other place was more perfect for me than New York. After being there, I am now a bit apprehensive as to whether or not this is true. 

This is a bit sad in a way, simply because it’s always a bit disappointing when you realize that imagination and reality don’t quite match up. But in another way, knowing that no matter where you go, things we’ll always be consistent is a reassuring idea as well. 

Peace. 

No comments: