The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Thursday, June 4, 2009

St. Pio


As you may or may not know, I am not a religious person. It’s not that I don’t believe in God, I just really don’t believe in religion in general, I think it just breeds corruption. That being said, there are a lot of aspects of religion that I really admire. I really do think that it does a lot of good, there are a lot of good ideas going there, and I think people can learn a lot from the teachings. 

So while I was in New York, we visited this really beautiful cathedral as I talked about before. They were selling charm looking things of saints. Well, while I am familiar with most of the biblical sermons, I was only ever a practicing Presbyterian, so I never learned the individual saints. I asked the lady there to tell me which one her favorite was, figuring that since she sold them, she could give me a good one. She named off a few, but the one that really hit me was St. Pio. Most people have never heard of him, but he was the saint of the sick and the poor. I immediately felt the connection with this saint and decided on him. 

I now wear the necklace pretty often. It helps me remember what my ultimate goal in life is, to help people who need it, the sick and the poor. I was wearing the necklace today and Dr. P asked me about it and I told him the story. When i got home, I wanted to look up more about him, to better understand the guy I’m sporting around my neck. It gave me some history on his saint hood, it’s pretty neat. But what I found most interesting was this:

"Pray, Hope and Don’t Worry" 

This is the quote he has been known for. Ironically, this is the same philosophy I live my life by. Pray for the things you can’t control, hope for the best, and don’t worry if it isn’t. I’m not a religious person, but some may call it a sign. 

peace. 

No comments: