The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bureaucratically Accurate

So when I was in government coach white talked to us about being politically correct. I have always tried to be correct in the things I say, I don’t want to offend anyone. But he read us off some terms that showed me how ridiculous things are getting. Par example, you can’t say house wife anymore, it’s domestic engineer.  And those creeper old guys who hit on teenagers are now referred to as sexually focused chronologically gifted individuals. Handicap people are now known as differently abled, handi-capable. Really? 

I know this guy who is of American Indian descent, 1/4 of him to be accurate. Even whisper the words Native American and he flips shit. Why? Good question. My guess would be racism. The discriminatory actions of the past and not so past are ruining conversation for everyone, Every word now is plagued with a negative connotation. If you say black, then you must be hatin’ on me, or if you say gay then you’re a homophobe. 

Now I can see where people draw conclusions such as these. The word retard being my prime example. This word is now being used by our society in place of the previously popular stupid. I know I have used it, and every time I do I feel a bit guilty. Being mentally-ill or homosexual for that matter is not a bad thing, but when you use these words as an insult, that’s what they become. 

And is this not so confusing to have multiple meanings for all of these words. You're always on edge, checking to make sure what you say will be okay. Just then when I typed mentally ill I had retarded in place. I don't mean it an in offensive way at all, but I changed it because I fear that someone will take it the wrong way. 

But are we not taking this too far? I am a firm believer that words only have power if you let them, and the only person that is capable of giving them that power is you. We have all fell victim to an unsatisfactory comment from another. But this is a case where the immaturity of our childhood should come into play: 

I am rubber and you are glue.

Whatever you say bouncers off of me and sticks to you.

Enough said.

Peace. 

No comments: