The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wit

We are often asked the question, if you could pick one word to describe me, what would it be? This is a question that usually comes from people who are either very insecure about themselves, seeking refuge in the compliments of others, or people on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, those people who seem to survive off compliments. The diet of compliments is one that is high arrogance, but low in nutrition, so its necessary that these people go to whatever means to get their daily dose. I like to call these people compliment fishers. I hope you can see why.
But that question isn’t really important to anyone but them, if at all them. No one should really take much thought on what people say about them, especially a one word thought, but I suppose it could help you judge how others see you, which could be important if you’re working a lot with people. But again, their idea about you is not all that important. What is most important, however, is how you would answer for the question for yourself. Better yet, I think its even more important to start off that question with how what you would want that answer to be, because in turn, it would reflect on who and what you would want to be.
So if you were asked the question, What word would you want to describe you?
I believe that my word of choice would be witty. I have always loved these word. Its one that is only reserved to a chosen few, people don’t go throwing that word out. There is some honor associated with wit, because it is more than just being, it is doing. There are certain things you must do to fulfill the requirements of wit. But I believe you would have to be old to be witty, or at least have good wit. Why do I think that? Simply because that part is in my definition. I think that any complimentary word, or any word that can be give as a compliment is subjective. My wit would have to be an old wit to qualify.

Wit is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not how to use it discreetly
Michel de Montaigne quotes

So, if you wanted one word to describe you, which one would you chose?

Peace.

No comments: