The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I’m sure many of you have seen the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s. If not, I’ll give you a little synapses. It’s about this chick named Holly Golightly who is known as sort of a playgirl around the city of New York. Paul Varjak moves into the building that Holly is in and they become quick friends. The movie just kinda goes on like that for a couple of hours with a few twists that I would rather not give away. But anyway, I don’t want to talk about the movie although you should see it if you haven’t because I think it’s one of the best and most practical love stories except for the ending, but anyways. The book starts out with Paul talking about his experience with Miss Holly Golightly. It has been some time since she has left, and the bartender that they both knew and Paul are talking about her, and then the bartender shows Paul a picture of a carving that looks exactly like Holly Golightly and says that when he was in Africa, he saw it, and asked the man who carved it about it and the man said that it was a lady who had shared his mat with him. I thought this was a weird way to start out the book; however, I liked the original way it brought the main character into the book. The book then goes on to talk about Paul’s first encounters with Miss Golightly. The first introduction he had with her was when she kept ringing his doorbell extremely early in the morning. The one night, she snuck into his window, which is weird seeing as its New York, I would be scared, but anyways they started talking and she told him about her brother Fred who she clearly loves very much. This shows her vulnerability, and sets up a scene later in the novella. It sort of ends badly I guess and they don’t speak to each other for a while until she has a party but whatever I don’t really want to talk about the book too much cause I can never explain things very well so I usually try not to, however I can tell you that the book is really amazing and so much better than the movie. Holly quickly becomes a favorite fictional character, and its hard not to fall in love with her. She’s something of a roll model for me, discarding all her negative attributes. I think that she’s one of the few people who really know how to live life. She never takes things too seriously and she couldn’t care much what people think about her and her choice of lifestyle. The fly by night set up of her house and the traveling sticker on her mailbox that is described shows that she doesn’t plan too much into the future, that she keeps an open mind, and I like that. The ending is so much better than the movies. The movies is completely cheesy, but of course, people love a happy ending, so I can’t imagine them keeping it the same as the book. The book’s is more real, and leaves it open to interpretation, which I generally don’t like in books because I like to know everything, but in this case, it really did work. It’s only 110 pages which is so tiny so I would highly recommend it, just saying. If you would rather have a better idea of what the book is about, or your seeking a second opinion, its called google, look it up. And there’s this.

No comments: