The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Years Resolution

Happy 2009 everyone. It’s the time of new beginnings, fresh starts, and a hopeful future. I for one hate this time of the year. I don’t mean to sound like a negative Nancy, but this time of the year is such a joke. It’s so overdone. People all of a sudden feel the need to make trite resolutions which last for all of about the 2 minutes after the ball has dropped. How many times have you heard your friends or family members say that they plan to get into shape only to see their newly bought treadmill collecting dust by May.

He who breaks a resolution is a weakling; He who makes one is a fool. F.M. Knowles
I for one feel that anytime is a good time to make a resolution. The fact that people need to do it at the same exact time only feeds into the ideal of conformity created by all those unable to think for themselves.
I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me. Anaïs Nin
Seeing as I feel the way I do, I was at first reluctant to resolve, and even resolved to not resolve, but then, that doesn’t really make sense, like saying the only rule is that there are no rules and things like that. I have made my resolution, but it is something that has always been present in my life, at least in the past few months. Because of this, I thought I would add my own spin on a time honored classic, as my way of fighting the similitude of society and make it my own.
A new year’s resolution was created in order to try and help people have a more optimistic view on life, on their new year. It is meant to be a goal, an aspiration. These are things that everybody should have, and I do embrace the fact that because it is now a standard, people may become better for it. My only problem with this is that it is too short termed. If you are making a resolution, it should be one that you would like to maintain for the rest of your life, not just 365 days of it.

The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. G. K. Chesterton
It is because of this that I have changed it into a new life resolution. I understand the cheesiness of it, but I’d rather be cheesy than conventional any day. This brings me to my new life resolution, which is: I resolve to laugh more, to love more, to live more, and not be so afraid to do so. I think that this is a fairly decent resolution. It is one, that in not only coming year, but the rest of my life, I will pursue.

No comments: