The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Death of A Language

I have noticed something recently, something that has made me not only mad, but deeply saddened as well. I listen very well. You would be surprised at the stuff you can find out simply by closing your mouth and opening your ears. Some may call what I do eavesdropping, however, I think that is such negative term. I don’t tell what I hear, I simply want to know. And if your speaking loud enough for me to hear, and in public for that matter, whose fault is it really?
But the source of my distress is not what people are saying, but the way in which they’re saying it. I’m not one of those people who obsess over the usage of obscenities. Fuck. That was simply proving my point. In fact, I think there is nothing wrong with it unless thats all your speech consists of. What I am concerned about is the unoriginality of the words we are now saying. Its as if there are ready made sentences that you can purchase off the shelves of a supermarket. It’s boring, not to mention annoying.
There is a beauty in words, I have always believed that. There are so many words, and those people who can pick and chose carefully the words they use, to make it sound not only efficient, but poetic as well, I have always though admirable. Its a skill few possess. This is perhaps why I find books so appealing. Because a good one can utilize the beauty of words, and a great one can do it without you even noticing, until you take a line or two from the text. But I don’t expect everybody to talk how Vonnegut or Hornby write. I imagine that would get annoying. But now, all I hear is quotes from Step Brothers and Superbad. They’re funny, don’t get me wrong. I enjoy to laugh as much as the next person, maybe even more. But its not the speech I enjoy about the movie. Its so common. And now, at least everyone my age, seems to be adopting their speech as their own. Nothing they say is new, I have heard it all before. Its a death of a language, of a skill no longer appreciated.
See what our society is left with:

No comments: