The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh Johnny

So I was reading this book about Johnny Depp entitled The Secret World of Johnny Depp. Yeah, I know sounds really good right. Johnny Depp, secret life, you can’t go wrong. So there I was reading it(I’m trying to make this story sound really exciting) and then I got to page like 100 and I thought to myself oh my lord this is one of the most boring books I have ever read. I would have stopped reading it only it was for a class and I assume I could make up the rest of the 265 pages because they were all like “Oh Johnny was in this movie and he was in that movie and this person was in this movie with him, but that person was also in this movie” and blah, blah, blah I don’t care. And plus I never like to not finish a book because when people ask if you have read it I want to be able to say yeah and tell them something about the book. Thank god I read this so now I can warn everyone not to read it. Anyway, I realized how boring people’s lives are. I mean to them, they are probably fairly interesting, but to other people, sooooo boring. It’s like a whole other life you have to listen to, and frankly, I’m already occupied with my life, I don’t have time to read about someone else’s. At least with like an autobiography you get to know what was going on in the person’s mind and why they made the decisions they made. With biographies you just get one or two quotes from interviews they have given, and that’s hardly personal. I used to love Johnny Depp, I mean love. It got to that point where I was near idolizing him. But after reading that, meh. He’s an interesting person, and he’s had an interesting life and I would still love to meet him. But that’s about the extent of it now. This book somehow humanized him I suppose. He is just like any other person with a normal life and a normal job and people have just taken it to the extreme with all the photos and rumors and all that other unnecessary drama. I guess it’s weird seeing someone we admire so much not be all that we thought they were, yet it brings with it a sense of relief to know that they aren’t. It equalizes us somehow and you realize that that stuff isn’t what’s important.

No comments: