The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Auntie

My aunt is a sweetheart, one of the most genuine people you will ever meet. But I can’t stand her. I know that sounds bad but I just can’t. She is so nice and would go out of her way to help you if you were in trouble, but at the same time, I think she while she was helping you up, she would be one of those people putting you down. Now my aunt is an extremely religious person, a very by the book kinda gal. She quotes scriptures, prays before meals at McDonalds, and most likely sleeps with the good book under her pillow. She is strongly against gay marriage, condemns abortion as the work of the devil, and doesn’t allow Harry Potter books or any other forms of literature referring to demonic things into her house. And it is because of this that I can’t stand her. She wasn’t always this way either. Apparently she was some crazy hell raising teen with a leather jacket and no respect for authority, and also had the hard core tattooed, cigarette smoking, alcohol drinking, and motorcycle riding boyfriend to go along with her wild child persona. Then she met her husband and found the lord or something like that I don’t know the rest is kind of blurry those were just the details that stood out. But anyway my question is what happened. What went wrong or right depending on your point of view. I have always wanted to know but have never asked in fear of being scolded with good word. How does one change so much. How do you all of a sudden decide that you don’t want your life to be how it is? How do you completely forget everything you know and have learned and start all over? And why. As long as she’s happy I suppose its no harm but when she changed she lost something. Or maybe she didn’t loose it a just can’t find it in her. But she can’t connect. Or I can’t connect one of the two. But because I support gay marriage, because I believe in abortion, and because, for a couple of years, I was convinced I could make my cat levitate if I really wanted to we don’t connect. I don’t expect her to agree with my beliefs, I don’t expect anyone too, but I cant even discuss anything of importance with her because I know her mind ear will closed to what I’m saying. And in her mind she will decide to pray twice as hard for me because I am clearly the devil child with an overactive imagination who will surely travel down the wrong path where a smoking, tattooed, motorcycle driving boy will still what’s left of my uncorrupted mind.

No comments: