The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Book


So I just happened upon this new book. Its entitled “This Book will Change Your Life”. I know, the title is lacking in creativity, but if we judged every book by its title, would anyone have read half the books that are now considered classics. Anyway, this book is meant to be read over a period of a year, one page a day. Each page tells you to do something. I am only on day five, and i already love this book. Its so simple, yet so helpful. It encourages spontaneity which has sadly been lost with time as our society has moved to a more structured planned out one. The first day, it gives you some choices. Some of them being name your gentiles, tell someone your middle name, or pick your favorite toe. I was going to tell someone my middle name to someone since i don’t tell anyone my middle name, but there were too many people around, so i picked which of my toes was the prettiest. Its my middle toe on my right foot, your left. The next day, it has a little paragraph. The paragraph talks about soul mates, and then advises you to on this day, look at everyone as if they could be your soul mate, and act accordingly. See what I mean. This book brings up things that no one really thinks about, and if they do think about them, rarely do they ever act on such thoughts, yet with this book with this uncreative title, people will because it tells them to. And it is because of this title that this book is so appealing. Almost everyone wants to change their life, and this book puts it right out there, that this is what it will do, and the fact that you only have to do one thing a day that normally takes no more than five seconds increases its appeal even more. On day three, you are supposed to throw something away that you like. This has been my favorite suggestion. I am a firm believer that people have put way too much thought and feeling into their possessions. this is dangerous, and recently, I have tried to really think about this fact and detach myself from objects. The more objects one has, the more worry they experience, because there is always that concern that something bad might happen to them. However when I was trying to think of what to throw away, I found it extremely hard. I eventually decided on my nail polish to throw away. I liked it, but without it, I am still the same person. And by simply throwing nail polish away, I have been taught a lesson. And that is the beauty of the book.


No comments: